If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
-Mother Teresa

February 25, 2008

Picture Book II

Once again I haven't left myself enough time to write any interesting narrative, but I've posted pictures and those are always exciting. These past two weeks have been a blur, and I can't wait until I have a moment to write a decent entry with all the details. The good news is: I have a house, I have a tutor, I have a bike, I got pictures of the boar, and I finally have a clear idea of the work that I will be doing. Oh! And I'm taking my first vacation in less than a week. Just as things were looking truly bleak, everything changed for the better (a lesson learned I won't soon forget).

I hope you are all well and enjoying beautiful weather like I am. Enjoy the photos!

Peace,

Megan

PHOTOS

A few entries back I wrote about the puppy we had for about a 1/2 hour. This is the puppy. Really, one of the cutest animals I've ever seen. My friend is laughing, not crying, by the way.



Read it and weep...with laughter. This is officially the most funny use of the English language I have ever seen. Brooke found it in a shop in my cyber town.



Last week Mahri, Brooke and I went for yet another great hike. The rock formations around here are so amazing. This is Mahri in a cool little cave-like formation we happened upon. I love this shot.



There are balancing rocks everywhere. And they are enormous (it's very difficult to show scale in these pictures). Does anyone know how in the world this happens? I would love to know...



Yet another amazing balanced rock. Most of these are atleast 4 or 5 times taller than I am, just to give you an idea of the size.



That's Mahri looking out over the view. In her backpack is the delicious lunch she packed. Mmmmmm.



That's Brooke. Isn't the view amazing?



Cactus fruit! Known as taqnrit (tak-a-nair-eet) here. I looooove to eat these. They are the consistency of a kiwi fruit, and have giant seeds that are perfect for seed spitting contests. I love them!!



Yet another view of the delicious treats.



First you cut off each end...



Then you peel back the skin...



Then you cut it in half and stare at the seeds for a while (at least that's what I do)...



...And then you take a goofy picture of yourself eating the fruit.



That's me on the roof after my snack. Life is rough out here.



FINALLY!!!! This is a mother boar and her babies. I've been waiting for this shot for months!



This is a field full of baby boars (called "haloof"). That morning there were 29 babies and 10 huge adults. They hung around for about an hour.



Here they are heading back into the mountains. The boar to the right was enormous. I'm not a good judge of size or weight from such a distance, but suffice to say he'd do a lot of damage if I ever got anywhere close to him.